The Health Library is a collection of health and wellness resources created for learning and accessibility. Select a topic below for related health information or search for a topic in the search bar for more information on other medical conditions.
- Accidental Amputation
- Ankle Problems and Injuries
- Arm Problems and Injuries
- Avascular Necrosis
- Back Problems and Injuries
- Bone Fractures
- Bone Loss
- Bone Spurs
- Boutonniere Deformity
- Calcific Tendinitis
- Chest Wall Problems and Injuries
- Chronic Myofascial Pain
- Compartment Syndrome
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis
- Dislocations and Subluxations
- Elbow Problems and Injuries
- Facial Problems and Injuries
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Foot Problems and Injuries
- Groin Problems and Injuries
- Growing Pains
- Hamstring Syndrome
- Hand Problems and Injuries
- Hip Problems and Injuries
- Joint Effusion
- Joint Pain
- Knee Problems and Injuries
- Leg Problems and Injuries
- Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease (LCPD)
- Muscle Aches
- Muscle Cramps and Spasms
- Musculoskeletal Pain
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Neck Problems and Injuries
- Osteitis Pubis
- Osteochondritis Dissecans
- Osteogenesis Imperfecta
- Overuse and Repetitive Motion Injuries
- Paget's Disease of Bone
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
- Phantom Limb Syndrome
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Positional Plagiocephaly
- Renal Bone Disease
- Shoulder Problems and Injuries
- Sports Hernia
- Sprains and Strains
- Tailbone Injury
- Tendon Injury (Tendinopathy)
- Tendon Laceration in the Hand
- Wrist Problems and Injuries
Bone, Joint and Muscle Conditions
Has info on finger, hand, and wrist problems as well as shoulder injuries. Also has info on osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia with links to low back pain exercises and info on tennis elbow surgery.
Amputation is the removal of a body part. This can be done by a doctor in a hospital setting, such as when a foot must be amputated because of diabetes complications. But amputation may also happen during an accident. An amputation may be complete...
Discusses common toe, foot, and ankle injuries. Covers home treatment and basic foot care. Offers injury prevention tips.
Bev isn't letting the pain of arthritis in her hands and back keep her from doing her favorite activity—gardening. Nor does she let it keep her from doing anything else in her life. She has found ways to help reduce the pain that allow her to still enjoy the simple pleasures in life, like seeing the season's first...
Get ideas about tools and changes to your home that can simplify your daily life.
What is avascular necrosis? Avascular necrosis is bone death that occurs when the blood supply to the bones is decreased or stopped. Without an adequate blood supply, the bone breaks down and dies and collapses. If the bone affected is near a joint, the joint may also collapse. Although any bone can be affected...
Most people will have a minor back problem at one time or another. Our body movements usually do not cause problems, but it's not surprising that symptoms develop from everyday wear and tear, overuse, or injury. Back problems and injuries often occur during sports or recreational activities, work-related tasks, or home...
Most back injuries are caused by lifting or twisting and are not serious. Minor injuries can also result from overuse of the muscles and ligaments in the back. Back pain caused by a minor injury will usually go away by itself within 1 to 4 weeks. Moderate back injuries may result from tripping or falling short...
Lists common lifting mistakes. Offers basic rules to protect your back when lifting. Includes links to pictures on proper lifting technique and more extensive info on low back pain and herniated disc.
Asks questions that help you find out if your low back problem might be helped by surgery. Results help you talk with your doctor about back pain or other symptoms like leg pain. Helps you talk with your doctor about surgery and other treatment options.