Coping With Stress
How you cope with stress can impact how stress affects you. Choosing healthy, positive ways to cope doesn't have to be a challenge. Let your senses do the work. Take a look at the ideas below. How many might you try?
See: Looking for beauty in what's around you.
- Step outside. Focus on the first tree, plant, or shrub you see.
- Visit a market, and look at the plants or flowers on display.
- Create a space in your home that gives you joy.
- Light a candle, and concentrate on the flame.
- Watch the stars at night.
Hear: Listening for calming sounds.
- Listen to music that calms or motivates you.
- Sing, or play an instrument.
- Find an inspiring podcast or audiobook.
- Share your story with someone you care about.
- Listen to sounds from a relaxation app.
Feel: Finding the soothing touch.
- Wrap yourself in a soft blanket.
- Change into cozy clothes.
- Ask for or give a hug to a safe person.
- Pet a dog or cat.
- Take a warm bath or shower.
Taste: Nourishing body and soul.
- Make yourself a non-alcoholic drink (like tea, hot chocolate, sparkling water, or kombucha).
- Treat yourself to some fruit or a small dessert.
- Do something special to your food or drink. (Add nuts or fruit to a salad, for example.)
- Make yourself an easy but nourishing meal.
Smell: Finding comfort in scent.
- Use your favorite lotion, perfume, or cologne.
- Light a scented candle, or try essential oils.
- Walk into a bakery and inhale the scent of fresh bread. Or bake your own.
- Boil cinnamon, orange peels, and cloves
How many new things did you find to try?
Are there others you might try? Write them here.