Over-the-Counter Medicine Precautions
Before using over-the-counter medicines, be sure you know the benefits and side effects of a medicine. Use medicines only if non-medicine approaches are not working.
These steps can help you stay safe when taking over-the-counter medicine.
- Carefully read and follow all directions on the medicine bottle and box.
- Take the minimum effective dose. When using a liquid medicine, use the measuring device that comes with the medicine.
- Call your doctor if you think you are having a problem with your medicine. If you have been told to avoid a medicine, call your doctor before you take it.
- Do not take a medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to it in the past.
- If you are or could be pregnant, call your doctor before taking any medicine.
- Keep a list of all your medicines, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and supplements. And share the list with your doctors.