How to Improve HOS Quality Measures
Physicians drive performance on the following important CAHPS and HOS Quality Measures. You will find impactful talking points and advice beneath each measure.
- Ask patients if they received flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Obtaining needed care:
- Make scheduling as easy as possible. Ask staff to schedule specialist appointments and write down the details for your patients.
Getting appointments and care quickly:
- Break up wait times by moving patients from the waiting room into an exam room to take vitals.
- Contact your patients when delays are expected using telephone, text or email.
- Advise patients of the best days or times to schedule appointments.
- Expedite the time it takes to follow up on blood tests, x-rays, and other tests.
- Remind patients to bring a list of their prescriptions.
Improving or maintaining physical health:
- Applaud your patient’s physical health when possible and encourage them to stay positive.
- Be specific in your recommendations for physical activity. For example, suggest walking at a particular local park or shopping mall so patients have specific, actionable ideas.
- Remind patients of corrective features they can use at home such as installing hand rails or using a cane can prevent falls.