Who We Are
The Health Plan is a community-based health maintenance organization with roots that have been growing for more than 38 years.
We don’t just provide health care for our members. We build relationships throughout our members’ communities because they’re our communities too. The Health Plan’s core giving areas focus on health and wellness initiatives, as well as education to students in the community.
The Health Plan scholarships
The Health Plan believes that a degree in the medical field should be attainable for everyone. The Health Plan scholarship provides need-based funds to medical and nursing students at West Virginia University and Marshall University. So far, The Health Plan has provided over $1.5 million in scholarships to 37 students. Learn more.
Reaching our youth
We know it’s important to help children establish healthy habits at a young age. Children with asthma and diabetes already face challenges. By taking part in summer camps that help with disease management, we hope to improve self-esteem while encouraging healthy behaviors for a lifetime.
Camp Catch Your Breath
The Health Plan sponsors Camp Catch Your Breath, a summer camp for children ages 8-13 with asthma. The weeklong camp at Jackson’s Mill State 4-H Camp provides a fun and educational experience for children with asthma. The Health Plan provides scholarships to any members who would like to attend the camp, and employees of The Health Plan donate their time to serve as counselors and teach asthma management skills to campers. Learn more.
Camp Kno Koma
The Health Plan is a sponsor of Camp Kno Koma, a summer camp for children ages 7-15 with diabetes. The camp is held at the Greenbrier Youth Camp in Monongahela National Forest and allows campers to experience adventure, education, and friendship. Campers are introduced to new diabetes management skills during a week of canoeing, swimming, biking and more. Learn more.
We’re proud to sponsor and participate in these great events throughout West Virginia and Ohio:
- Celebrate Youth, an annual event in Wheeling, WV. Parents, teens, and children speak to experts about healthy activities and life choices, and can also learn about local higher education and training programs.
- Live on the Levee, a weekly summer concert series in Charleston, WV.
- City of Champions Concert Series, a weekly summer concert series in Massillon, Ohio.
- Board Benefit, presented by the Oglebay Institute Board of Trustees, at the Mansion Museum in Wheeling, WV. Proceeds support the programs and activities of Oglebay Institute.
- Ogden Newspapers Half Marathon Classic Run and Walk, an annual race in Wheeling, WV, that has raised money for various health and wellness charities over 40 years.